Project Engineer – Derby
Porterbrook Leasing Company specialises in the leasing of all types of railway rolling stock and associated equipment. Based in Derby with a corporate Head Office in London, the organisation is undertaking a period of transformational change as it responds to the changing landscape in rail. The engineering function is seeking the most talented commercial and technical resources in the industry to join its team, to enable the business to be fit for the future.
This role sits within the Innovations and Projects Team within the Engineering Services function of Porterbrook. Reporting to the Project Manager (FLEX), the role is to provide engineering support for a number of projects including FLEX and innovation projects. The Project Engineer will be responsible for the day-to-day management of engineering issues, lease requirements and maintenance contracts for vehicle fleets within the team, and support the delivery of projects to time, quality and schedule
- Safe Operations of Rolling Stock: Ensure vehicles are suitable for the safe operation on the railway, Review National Incident reports, manage maintenance specifications, Recording vehicle modifications and follow the required engineering change process.
- Project Delivery: Ensure all projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Undertake regular project reviews to monitor overall project performance and provide robust forecasts on costs vs budget where required
- Ensure Project Execution Plans (PEPs) and workbooks are up to date and are compiled in accordance with the issued procedure
- Take part in contract review meetings as specified in the relevant contract and produce and issue minutes in a timely manner.
- Manage Contract Variations ensuring that such variations are applicable and offer an acceptable value for money for the business
- Compile Engineering Change requests where applicable to support contract variations
- Maintenance: Monitor Operator responsible maintenance; ensure mandated activities are carried out in time and to the correct standard
- Monitor suppliers to ensure compliance with defined contractual requirements
- Monitor condition of Porterbrook rolling stock assets, provide condition reports to the Operator and inform the Fleet Asset Manager of any issues identified
- Provide support to the Fleet Asset Manager in contract negotiations as required
- Ongoing Fleet Maintenance: Monitor fleet performance to identify areas of poor reliability
- Undertake and support appropriate technical investigations into areas of poor reliability and develop appropriate remedial actions
- Assist in the production of a business case and implementation plan supporting any proposed vehicle modifications to improve fleet reliability
- Support Commercial Manager in dealing with fleet maintenance, engineering and technical issues
Skills / Experience:
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline
- Knowledge of contractual obligations and operating lease agreement
- Awareness of safety cases, certification issues, railway risks and group standards
- Knowledge and understanding of vehicle maintenance and overhaul requirements
- Project planning skills
- Report writing and presentation skills
- Knowledge of the rail industry and a variety of fleets
- Financial and budgeting awareness
- Negotiation skills
- Commercial/contractual awareness
We are seeking the very best talent to join the team, and offer an excellent salary, along with bonus and benefits. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a great organisation with excellent people and a road map for the future to grow and develop the business.
To apply please upload your CV and a covering note with full details of why you would be a great addition to the Porterbrook team, along with details of your current salary and notice period to our retained consultant Emma Black at Rainbow HR
Porterbrook is a disability confident employer.